Sermon Christ Came to Save Sinners Text John 3:17-21
One Way Christian Center
Reformed Church in Olustee, OK
Sermon by Pastor Bryan Walker
(17) For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world
- Why would God send his only begotten son…
- He had a specific purpose and plan of rescue
(18) “…but he who does not believe is condemned already”
Doctrine of “Radical Corruption” or “Total Depravity”
John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
- The light came into the world and we did not know him
- You are not “born again” by the will of man, “but of God”
- Man is naturally blind to the things of God.
- Man is born again by the sovereign Spirit of God
- The world is already in a state of condemnation!
- The world loves darkness, – you and I love or loved sin!
- Okay, stop sinning?
- The Law of God exposes the evil in our heart!
- No one likes to judge themselves!
Proverbs 14:12 NKJV There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
- How often do we examine ourselves?
- What do we use as our standard?
- God defines what is sin and what is not sin
- Do we deceive ourselves?
- Example, God defines love, not you!
- Any sexual relationship outside of Biblical marriage, it’s love?
- God defines what is and is not love.
Proverbs 16:2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the spirits. (or heart)
- Are we a sinful nation? Ask are yourself specifically?
- Do you have other gods before him?
- Do you give him his due worship?
- Do you honor Him?
- Do you love him more than ______?
- Have you taken the Lord’s name in vain?
- Just once, sadly I hear it all the time.
- Have you been angry with one another without “cause?”
- You shall love your neighbor as yourself
- Walmart parking lot
- Road rage
- Coworker (coveting something)
- What about forgiveness?
- Have you looked at another with lust?
- Just a look
- Just a thought
- Look but don’t touch???
- I always come home?
It’s love so it’s okay???
No it’s the love of sin! It is lust, adultery and coveting.
Consider what God said to us in Proverbs!
- Have you ever stolen anything?
What does all this make you? – A sinner!
- If you say I am not that bad, what does that matter?
- You are still a sinner!
- Options, repress it, like many do!
- Justify yourself by your neighbor!
Proverbs 17:15 NKJV He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, Both of them alike are an abomination to the LORD.
- Don’t lie to yourself, we are sinners!
- Are you are bearing false witness about yourself!
Proverbs 19:5 ESV A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will not escape.
- Hopefully we have established we are sinners, thieves, murders, adulterers, covetousness, lying, and have many other gods.
- You come to Christ as a sinner and Christ came to save sinners
1 Timothy 1:15 …Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
Mark 2:17 …I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
- You may say, “but I don’t have a deep feeling???”
- You may say, “I haven’t cried at the altar”
- You may say, “I have backslidden.”
- You may say, “I have nothing God wants.”
- Where does it say you have to cry at the alter? Are you a sinner? Come
- Where does it say you have to have a certain feeling? Are you a…
- Are the backslidden sinners? Believe in Christ!
- You who have nothing God wants, that’s exactly who he came to save!
- It doesn’t say Jesus came to save sinners who feel sick it simply says he came for the sick!
- Your feelings have nothing to do with it!
- Is God’s word good for you or do you rely on a feeing?
Luke 5:31 Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.
- So who is well?
- Bible says all are sick and even dead in sins.
- None are worthy!
- God must awaken you to your sin!
- Do you still think you are well? Then you don’t need Christ!
- If you know you are sick, you need Christ!
- What are you to do?
- Repent and believe in Christ!
Mark 1:14-15 …
(18) “He who believes in Him is not condemned;
- So what will it be, will you love your evil deeds or Christ!
- Gospel is simple, but for all it is impossible without God
- You can’t have both!
1 John 3:6-8
- Sinner repent and believe in Christ!
- He will enable you to do so!
Man can do nothing apart from God!