CONTINGENT FAITH – Sermon from One Way Christian Center, Olustee, Oklahoma. A Reformed Church close to Altus AFB.
Sermon Text John 4:41-54 NKJV
TIME – MAP
- Galilee is a region, Cana, Nazareth, Capernaum are towns in Galilee.
- 50 Miles from Sychar to Cana – 2, 3 day trip. From well to town.
- Cana to Capernaum is 15 to 20 miles, 5 to 7 hour walk -5 MPH
Joh 4:44 For
There is a “for” connecting the story at the well and what critics call a contradiction?
- Remember this “for” – We will come back to it.
Joh 4:44 “a prophet has no honor in his own country”
Joh 4:45 the Galileans received Him
- In the very next sentence??? – Even I am smarter than that???
- The Bible has difficult passages but no contradictions
- Matthew, Mark, Luke, John see the same story but differently?
- Or what appears to be the same story but is not?
- Or what about all the background that is left out?
Story took 2-5 minutes to read but how long in real life?
How did the Galileans welcome him?
In what manner were they glad to see him?
- Sign SEEKING vs Messiah Seeking
- Galileans vs. the Samaritans
Yes they received him
Yes, they welcomed him
- They were at the Passover celebration
- they saw everything he did there
- Who are these people of Galilee?
- Same group of people.
- They were seeking signs not the savior
- Can you believe in miracles from God and not in Christ? YES
- What do you mean?
- You can pray and ask for miracles and not believe in Christ?
- Believing in Christ is more than believing in miracles.
Do we have another contradiction???
Sure if there is no difference in believing in miracles and believing in Jesus!
-His brothers did not believe in him. Wow!
-A prophet has no honor in his own country.
A certain nobleman – official of some type
He hears Jesus is in town
He goes to Jesus.
Begs and implored Him!
His son is about to die!
Anyone, religious or non-religious would probably do the same!
Many find religion when they need it the MOST.
John 4:48 NKJV
Let’s look at this response.
The word you is plural – proper English has no plural you?
Translators insert “you people”
Here we would say ya’ll
Pittsburgh they would say You’nz
POINT: Jesus is not just talking to the nobleman
RESPONSE: “Sir, come down before my child dies!”
The son was healed
The nobleman and his household believed
I believe they truly believed!
Not just in the miracle but in the Messiah
SADLY: The vast majority believed only in what they could get
- John Chapter 6
- Jesus feeds 5,000 with 5 barley loafs and 2 small fish
- Jesus flees because they are about to take him by force and make him their king.
John 6:34 NKJV
REMEMBER the Joh 4:44 “For”
(44) For Jesus Himself testified that a prophet has no honor in his own country.
What is the connection of the word “for?”
“for” = Conclusion or summary of something?
John 4:41-42 NKJV
- They heard his WORD and they believed (POWER)
- They weren’t chasing signs and miracles
- Can signs and miracles cause people to believe, YES! NOBLEMAN
- 1 HOUSEHOLD vs. MANY MORE???
- Are there still signs and miracles today, YES
- Do you not have enough evidence! CONTINGENT FAITH?
Matthew 12:38-39 NKJV
He may give a sign and he may not.
CONTINGENT FAITH – rests in a sign!
The sign may bring you but his WORD must keep you!
Will your faith shipwreck if you don’t get a sign???
SYNDICAL “show me a sign” Jesus calls that Evil and Adulterous
2 Thessalonians 2:9