The remaining gifts of the Holy Spirit mentioned in Romans 12 are service, teaching, exhorting, contributing, leading and showing mercy. Go through each of the spiritual gifts in Romans 12, in your mind, Christ performed each of these flawlessly.
GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT (3)
OUR CHURCH ~ ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
Without exercising your gift we cannot function
Professional Athlete? ~ Plays the sport for money
1980 Olympic Hockey Team ~ Miracle on Ice!!!
o Practice, Endurance, Teamwork…
Paying for church?
o Professional prayers
o Selling of indulgences – Council of Trent
Always Examine Ourselves Against Scripture
What about today?
Hire a pastor and staff and pay them to…______
o Feed me the Word of God?
o Care for the sick and elderly?
o Pay them to sing to me?
I’ll donate to the church, in hope ___
I’ll do work for the church in hope ___
o True ~ We need professionals ___
1. Giving to the church does not remove sin ~ Christ Alone
2. We do what we do because of JOY! ~ Serve Christ!
(7) if service, in our serving…
1. Serving or Ministering (G1248 – diakonia) Deacon (G1249- diakonos)
1. All gifts must focus on what is important at the time!
(7) …the one who teaches, in his teaching;
Disciple is student:
2 Timothy 2:15
2 Timothy 4:3
Teaching is to the mind
Exhortation is to the heart and will
(8) the one who exhorts, in his exhortation…
EXHORT to encourage, to embolden, to cheer, to advise. The primary sense seems to be to excite or to give strength, spirit or courage.
Rom 12:1 I appeal to you therefore
Warning someone ~ concerning the truth
Translated beseech comfort or console someone
BISHOP ~OVERSEER ~ Titus 1:9
(8) the one who contributes, in generosity
2. All, teach, exhort, lead and mercy.
Some do one better than others
3. Generosity? With bountifulness, liberally
4. Out of JOY!
2 Corinthians 8:1-3
(8) the one who leads, with zeal
1 Timothy 3:4
1 Thessalonians 5:12
(8) the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness.
– Afflicted by the suffering of others
– Driven to help others
Gift of PRAYER
1. Hire a professional??? We all have positions to play!
2. Coach, Goalie, Defensemen (2), Right Wing, Left Wing and Center, bench, trainers, staff…
Goalie – out of the net? Padding? Team!!!
Christ is all of these! Christ lived all of this!!! Follow me!!!
Sermon preached by pastor Bryan Walker at One Way Christian Center in Olustee, OK.