I DESIRE MERCY AND NOT SACRIFICE – Sermon
One Way Christian Center, Reformed Church in Olustee, Oklahoma
12 Miles SW of Altus, Oklahoma and Altus Air Force Base
Sermon Preach by Pastor Bryan Walker
Sermon Text John 5:1-16 NKJV
To fully understand this story let’s examine the… SABBATH
Exodus 20:8-11 NKJV
INTRODUCTION TO THE SABBATH
Moving Objects –
Traveling on the Sabbath
Romans 14:4-6 ESV
Law brings death!
Romans 7:10 NKJV
Galatians 2:16 NKJV
Romans 3:20 NKJV
(10) The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.”
- This man was sick for 38 years???
- Jesus heals him – where is the happiness???
- Miracles, they know he is the Christ!
- Where is the compassion???
- What about the people???
- Hypocrisy – Look holy but NOT holy!
- Religion – Finding ways to get around the law.
Jesus is eating with tax collectors and sinners.
Matthew 9:13 NKJV But go and learn what this means: ‘I DESIRE MERCY AND NOT SACRIFICE.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
His disciples were hungry, and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.
Matthew 12:7 NKJV But if you had known what this means, ‘I DESIRE MERCY AND NOT SACRIFICE,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless.
Hosea 6:6 NKJV
IS THIS MERCY – Warning of the consequences of sin
What is MERCY???
- The gospel of Jesus Christ is MERCY! – Brings Eternal life.
Funeral of Pastor Billy Hall (Pastor for over 50 years) Click HERE for obituary.
JESUS SENDS HIS DISCIPLES OUT
Matthew 10:13 NKJV
- You will be accepted and rejected
Matthew 10:16 NKJV
- Not everyone you come across has your best interest in mind
- Some are wolves but wisdom beats a wolves
- You are to be harmless
Matthew 10:32 NKJV