Jesus Appears, Gives His Peace, His Spirit and The Great Commission John 20:19-23 Sermon
John 20:19-23 ESV
- Did Jesus just appear?
- Or, did He walk through the walls?
- NKJV & NASB Doors were shut
- ESV Doors being locked
- John Gill “that they were really locked and bolted, and barred”
- Or, did someone let Him in?
- Or, did He unlock the door and walk in?
- He was NOT a spirit
- Luke 24:37 ESV But they were startled and frightened and thought they saw a spirit.
- Luke 24:42 He ate broiled fish and some honeycomb
- He was NOT a spirit
Road to Emmaus – Breaking of the Bread Luk 24:31
- Eyes were opened
- They recognized Him
- He vanished or disappeared from their sight
The grave clothes
Acts 12:7 Angel suddenly appeared to Peter inside a locked prison
- Mysterious body
- Wonderful body (but maintains the marks of the cross – evidence)
- Appears to have different properties than our current body
- Is Christ subject to the physical laws of this world?
- He walked on water
- He ascended up into the clouds
- He will descend
- He has power over his creation
John 12:41 NKJV These things Isaiah said when he saw His glory and spoke of Him.
“Peace be with you.” X3 John verses 19,21,26
John 14:27 NKJV
Rev 21:8 The cowardly will be in the lake of fire and brimstone
- These disciples have just DEMONSTRATED cowardness
- They are hiding in a locked room now
- Peter denied Christ 3 times
- How can they be bold?
- Jesus tells them to go forth and equips them to go forth
- He gives them the Holy Spirit
John 20:22 NKJV
- Question? Is it wrong to witness with boldness?
- Peter witnessed to the council
- Paul disputed against the Hellenists – Tried to kill him
- Paul – Synagogue on the Sabbath (many times)
- Act 26:27 Paul witnessed to, King Agrippa…
Luke 24:49 NKJV
How to interpret John 20:22 IN THE LIGHT OF Luke 24:49
- Many, many, opinions
- Some say, this is a pledge of what was to come?
- A measure of the spirit
- More gifts to come
- State of man
- The Holy Spirit is at work in the OT and New
Matthew 16:17 NKJV
- Moses had a greater portion than the people
- The elders were given a portion of the Holy Spirit
Joel 2:28 NKJV
- Different works at different times
- Where is the confusion coming from?
- Lack of understanding the state of man
1 Corinthians 2:14 NKJV
Romans 8:8-9 NKJV
- Is the ONLY evidence of the Holy Spirit tongues?
- Not all speak in tongues 1 Cor 12:30
- Anyone who believes on Christ has the Holy Spirit
- Many gifts of the Spirit
1 John 4:1 NKJV
John 20:22 NKJV …He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
Genesis 2:7 NKJV
|In Adam||In Christ|
|Spiritually Died (Immediately) Hid from God||Spiritually Alive (Immediately) Born again|
|Body Died (Later) Dust to dust||Body Resurrection (Later) New body|
|God Breathed Life||Jesus (who is God) Breathed Life|
John 20:23 NKJV
- What does this verse mean???
- Many opinions
- Doctrinal Divide
- Major reason for the reformation
- Selling of indulgences
What is an indulgence? “”An indulgence is a remission before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven”
- Raise money for the church
- Not condone by the Roman Catholic Church
- However, not stopped until the council of Trent 1545-1564
- Martin Luther 1517, Oct 31st
Current Absolution (forgiveness of sin):
“God, the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son, has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sin, through the ministry of the Church. May God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.”
- Priest is speaking on behalf of the Bishop
- The Bishop gives his authority to the Priest
- The Bishop derives his authority from the Pope
- The Pope derives his authority from Christ John 20:23
INTERPRETATION OF: John 20:23 NKJV If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
- Can it mean, the Great Commission (ONLY)?
- Sins are forgiven by hearing the Gospel
- They are sent to preach the Gospel
- Great Commission in Mark says:
Mark 16:16 NKJV
- The ministry of reconciliation / Great Commission
Corinthians 5:18 NKJV (18) Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
- Problem 1: Jesus is speaking to all in the room, not just Peter.
- Problem 2: The Apostles never personally absolve anyone of their sins …
- However, they do 2 things:
- By the teaching of the Holy Spirit and the teaching of Christ, they established the infallible and inspired New Testament
- What they forbade in the church had divine authority
- What they permitted, or commanded, had divine auth.
- Church discipline
Matthew 18:16-18 NKJV
- Whole church or a group of elders?
- Danger in un-forgiveness
Matthew 6:14-15 NKJV
Matthew 23:4 NKJV
As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”