Romans 11:33-36 ESV Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! (34) “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” (35) “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” (36) For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
End – Romans 1-11, Manna from Heaven – Glory of God!
Complained about the Manna – Angry God!
Daily Application Next – Compare the headers
What prompts this doxology! –(Doxology – Praise to God!) Rom 9-11
Romans 11:32 ESV For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.
- Shut up or committed all in disobedience – GRACE & GLORY God
- Enclosed all in disobedience – GRACE to you – Glory to God
- Wrapped all nations in unbelief – GRACE to you – Glory to God
- Our flesh is INCLINED to disobedience – GRACE & GLORY
- Inclined to be enemies of God – GRACE & GLORY
Galatians 3: (22) But the Scripture (LAW) imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
LAW – Proclaims you guilty – GRACE is needed
God REVEALS our need so our MINDS and HEARTS ponder His GLORY!
Election ~ Biblical ~ and – God gets all the glory!
When the MIND ascends to the need… the HEART cries out! O’oooooo
The MIND and the HEART are linked!
What happened to “AMAZING” grace! Putting Amazing back – M. Horton
Oh the Depth’s – A place the created cannot fully reach, edge peering in
- Create something from nothing – Ponder…
- Owns all things
- Own You
- Owns the cattle on 1,000 hills
- All things are subject to Him
- Wisdom (exercise of knowledge) Knowledge (truth and facts)
- Every possible math formula – Not thought of
- Every detail of every molecule, atom
- Innumerable stars and every atom making up each planet
- Every cell and particle in your body
- Every deed you have ever done
- Endless combinations of causes and effects
- Every thought you have ever had
- Knows past, present, and future – clarity
- He forgets nothing
- He learns nothing because he knows everything
- Every word in every book ever written
- Nothing is chance or random with God
- Nothing happens outside of his control
How unsearchable (cannot be searched or explored; hidden; mysterious)
- Word translated other places as– damnation, condemnations, avenged, condemned, law
- Decisions to grant mercy & judgment
- Decisions based on HIS glory, not ours
- Decision to send his Son to redeem the world
- Decision to call one and not another – Grace
- Decision to love one and not another – Grace
- Decision to harden one and not another – Grace
- Does he owe anyone anything?
- Who has given Him something that he should repay?
Majority of ethnic Israel – No faith in Christ
Paul’s – Family & Friends & Nation of Israel– (Why Doxology)
Romans 9:6 ESV But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel,
Rom 11:1 I ask, then, has God rejected his people? By no means!
- How does the remnant come in?
Rom 11:5 …there is a remnant, chosen by grace.
- How are the un-natural branches (you) grafted in?
- Can a branch graft itself? GRACE
- Before you exist, can you cause yourself to be born? GRACE
- Has God sought your counsel on how to save people???
- What does God owe us, GRACE? – Opposite!
- Inscrutable Ways
- That cannot be penetrated, discovered or understood by human reason.
- His ways are not our ways
- We are finite he is infinite
- We are the creatures, He is the creator
- His ways are ALWAYS for His Glory!
- His ways are ALWAYS pure & true
- Yet we are called friends – through Christ
- Shares his plan with us for His – GLORY
- Why? You did not choose me, I have chosen you! Blind & Called???
- Some things given and others not given.
Romans 9:20 ESV But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”
- Why??? Why did this happen to me?
Job 38:1-3 ESV Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: (2) “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? (3) Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me.
Romans 11:34 ESV “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?”
- Do you have a better plan?
Romans 11:35 ESV “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”
- “God- You have everything”
- “God- You need nothing”
- Yet you gave your only begotten son for my wretched sins
Romans 11:36 ESV For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
- From Him – All things – Creation, Power, Grace
- Through Him –All things – Nothing Happens Without Him
- To Him – All things – Reason for everything is his Glory
- Romans 1-11, Manna from Heaven –
- Romans 11:33 - 36