Our Inheritance Guarded by God’s Power
Sermon Text: 1 Peter 1:3-5 ESV
1 Peter 1:3-5 ESV
- Doxology – A praise cried out to God,
- Blessed Be God
- He’s not actually bestowing a blessing on God
- Created is expressing thanks to the creator
- God is Everything to its fullest
- His abundant mercy (1 Peter 1:3)
- How abundant is it?
- Who can measure it?
- His Great power
- Is there anything more powerful?
- Is there a limit on God’s power
- Do we need to say great?
- God has power and authority
- Does God need to ask permission?
- Can anyone stay His hand?
- Does God need our advice?
- His exceeding goodness, love, kindness…
- Is there anyone better?
- Simply I AM WHO I AM
- 2 Corinthians 9:14 NKJV (14) …the exceeding grace of God in you.
- How would you measure His grace?
- Ponder this,
- God’s will is based on his nature, authority and power
- Our will is based on our nature, authority and power
- When we pray, “thy will be done…”
- We are NOT giving Him permission
- We are NOT enabling Him
- We are recognizing his power, authority and nature
- Not the will of men
- Not the will of the devil
- Not our will
He has caused us to be born again (ESV and NASB)
NKJV Simply: has begotten us again (who? God)
- Who is causing?
- Who is begetting?
- Man did not contribute to the birth of Christ,
- Likewise, man does not contribute to his new birth!
- You are not born of man but of God
Mary; Luk 1:35
John 3:6 NKJV
to a living hope
- What is meant by a “living” hope
- Born into Adam, DEAD
- Born into Christ, ALIVE
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
- Christ seed is alive, Adam’s seed is dead
- Christ has all power, all authority
- Php 3:10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection
- When fully believed, produces unshakeable hope
(4) to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading
- Inheritance – Israel and the Promise Land
- This was an earthly inheritance
- Our inheritance is God
1 Peter 2:9 NKJV
Numbers 18:20 NKJV I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel.
- The land was taken over by
- Foreign armies and peoples
- Drought & Pestilence made it unusable
- The land was taken over by
2 Peter 3:10 NKJV …the heavens will pass away with a great noise, …both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.
- What is Imperishable?
- Who is Imperishable?
- The land was defiled by the heathen
- Defiled by Israel’s Idolatry and sin
- What is truly Undefiled?
- Who is holy in every way?
- The flowers fade
- The grass fades
- 1Pe 1:24 because “ALL FLESH IS AS GRASS
- Everything here fades
- What is Unfading?
- Who’s glory does not fade?
reserved in heaven for you
Matthew 25:34 NKJV
Luke 17:21 ESV
- Streets of Gold
- $100 bill wall paper
- Real treasure is Christ
(5) who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
- Perseverance of the saints
- Is there anything more powerful than God?
- Suspended by a Chain – faith a link? (NOT)
- You will be focused on the weakest link
- Faith in your faith?
- Faith is not in our achievements – But Gods (REPEAT)
- 1 Peter 1:21 ESV …so that your faith and hope are in God.
- Nowhere does it say in oneself
- Our faith is not perfected here
- God uses means to strengthen our faith
- Trials (1 Peter 1:7 tested by fire)
- Holy Spirit
- Convicts us of sin
- Motivates in righteousness
- Jesus is interceding for us
- Preaching & teaching
- Reading & hearing the Word
- Prayer & meditation upon God
- Singing and proclaiming praise to God
- Communion & Baptism
- The Church Body
- Some don’t believe in the perseverance of the saints
- How can you receive eternal salvation more than once?
- Is the work and intercession of the Son in vain?
- Can the Holy Spirit make us alive and keep us alive?
- The bondage of works
- The false converts
- God has the POWER, AUTHORITY and NATURE to keep
God can do nothing on earth without my permission???
“We get the mind of God about His will, we pray it. When we pray it, we give him legal right to perform it” (BENNY HINN).
“Prayer is man giving God permission, or license, to interfere in earth’s affairs.” (MYLES MUNROE & CREFLO DOLLAR)
Concerning the Power of God
Psalms 115:3 NKJV
- But that’s in heaven what about earth?
Psalms 135:6 NKJV
Isaiah 40:11-15 NKJV
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
To the elect:
- God has caused you to be born again
- Because of his abundant mercy
- through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
- For an inheritance
- The elect are being kept by God’s power guarded through faith
- for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
- These are not empty promises
- May you be freed from focusing on the weak link
- Look to the power of God
- Look unto Me and be saved
Given by Pastor Bryan Walker
One Way Christian Center Reformed Baptist Church
Preached on 8 Jan 2017