Sorrow into Joy Because He Has Overcome the World – John 16:16-33
Sermon Text: John 16:16-33 NASB
DEITY (19) Jesus knew that they wished to question Him
Verse after verse… and he knew their thoughts
Only God can know the heart.
1 Kings 8:39 NASB then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men,
Jeremiah 17:9-10 ESV The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? (10) “I the LORD search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”
- So, God knows your thoughts…
- What if people could read your mind?
- Have you ever bitten your tongue?
- No harm no foul??? Really???
(30) “Now we know that You know all things, and have no need for anyone to question You; by this we believe that You came from God.” (31) Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?
Psalms 51:10 NASB Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Jeremiah 24:7 NASB ‘I will give them a heart to know Me, for I am the LORD; and they will be My people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with their whole heart.
- Now you see me and now you don’t – but soon you will?
“A little while, and you will no longer see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me.”
- Just hours before the crucifixion!
- A few days from the resurrection!
(20) Most assuredly, I say to you that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; and you will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will be turned into joy.
- Opposites again – World rejoices – While they weep
- Their sorrow is turned into joy?
- Transformed into JOY
- Example of childbirth
- Pain decreases as the joy rises
- Joy overcomes the pain
Joh 16:22 …and your joy no one will take from you.
- This joy no one can take!
- Has someone taken your joy?
- Why do we walk around grumpy! (Friday morning)
- Same side of the bed as always!
- We are ALL guilty of being JOYless, some more than others!
- Eeyore – Oh! Woes me!
- Being grumpy is a sin!
- Joy is a fruit of the Spirit!
- You are a child of the MOST HIGH GOD!
Are we grumpy because we don’t have things?
Luke 12:15 NKJV And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”
Are we grumpy because our old friends don’t like us?
Everyone seems to be against you?
You just don’t fit in anywhere?
John 15:18 NKJV “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.
- Jesus was left to die alone!
- The disciples scattered!
- He was not alone! –You have the Holy Spirit!
Joh 16:32 And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.
John 15:11 NKJV “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.
What was the topic?
Joh 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself
Act_13:52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
Gal_5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
- More entertainment
- Flood my mind with other things
- More money will bring me true joy
- Take a vacation
- Get away from the sorrow
- Suppress it for a while
- The great exchange
- Exchange sorrow for a new toy
- Exchange Sorrow for Alcohol or drugs
- Christian way, sorrow for food & coffee
Solutions – Take this pill or eat this way? Do you listen???
- Believe in God
Rom_15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing
- Abide in Jesus Christ
- Focus on Christ
- A branch cannot bear fruity away from the vine.
Joh 16:24 Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
- What is asking? Prayer!!! (Prayer List)
- More People to Believe…
- Pray for each other
- Church needs
- Understanding & Boldness
- Spirits guidance
- Knowing his Words
John 16:33 NKJV These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.
1Jn_1:4 And these things we write to you that your joy may be full.
- You MUST have this knowledge!
- He says you will have tribulation!
- In the world you will have tribulation;
- Persecutions † Illnesses † loss † loneliness † troubles †
Jas_1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
- You MUST understand this!
- The road will NOT be smooth!
- Have you experienced DEEP sorrow? Sorrow turns into JOY
- Look to Christ
- Abide in Christ
- Mind set on Christ (Survival school)
but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
- Our faith is not in us but HIM