Romans 12:1-2 ESV I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (2) Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Summit – End of a point
- Verse 1&2, THE GREAT SUMMARY of Christian life!
- Therefore – Points back to all of Romans
- Doctrine – then – Application
- Why train for a race if you never enter? Car is in the garage!
- Many years in school – Apply it
- Many Sunday’s in church – Fresh Fruit?
- Read the word – But don’t apply it?
James 2:14 ESV What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
- Proper Faith and Proper Knowledge ¯
Romans 10:2 NIV For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge.
- I beseech you ~ I appeal to you = ask with urgency!
- Notice he is NOT commanding them – Authority to do so
- Does not exercise authority – BROTHERS
- Not just fellow Christians, friends, acquaintances but brothers!
- Brother’s share the same parents
- Brother’s grow together
- Not COMMANDING but gives a REASON! Why???
- Mercies of God – Plural
You could say, “Therefor because of the mercies”
SUBMIT TO OBTAIN MERCY, OR SUBMIT BECAUSE OF MERCY
- Argument ~ Does man accept God or does God accept man?
- Both are true BUT initially, God shows mercy!
- God makes the first MOVE. Because of his mercy!
- God showed mercy on Adam and Eve!
- What did the world do to deserve Christ (mercy)?
- Fundamental teaching! – Nothing you do can gain your salvation!
- Gen 6:8 Noah found mercy, grace, favor, – built the arc
- Fountain of mercy flows ONE WAY
- BECAUSE OF MERCY – Proper attitude! – Chores or Delight!
2 Corinthians 1:3 ESV Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
- “present your bodies as a living sacrifice” –
- Today ~ reduced to diet and exercise?
Matthew 15:11 ESV it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
- Because of mercy – present yourself willingly
- Willingly, submit your body to God’s will
- No such thing as a carnal Christian – BODY means BODY
- Not to obtain mercy but because of mercy
- Joyfully! Submit! IF NOT wrong reasons
Proverbs 21:27 ESV The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination; how much more when he brings it with evil intent.
- Evil intent? ~BRIBE! You do this for me and…
- Abel’s sacrifice was by faith
- “Living sacrifice”
- Animals presented once!
- You ~ daily!
- Do you receive mercy or mercies?
Psalms 68:19 ESV Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up; God is our salvation. Selah.
Matthew 6:11 ESV Give us this day our daily bread,
- Example of Christ ~ Christ taught in the temple daily!
Luke 9:23 ESV And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
“holy and acceptable to God”
Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain
- Without spot or blemish! – Freely our ENTIRE SELF!
Malachi 1:8 ESV When you offer blind animals in sacrifice, is that not evil? And when you offer those that are lame or sick, is that not evil? Present that to your governor; will he accept you or show you favor? says the LORD of hosts.
- NOT speaking of our salvation – Christ is our salvation – spotless
- Without Christ NO OFFERING is acceptable
- Christ~ Faith in Christ ~ because of Him!
- Worship in and through the Spirit
Colossians 3:23 ESV Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men,
- -How do we spend our time?
- -What do we devote our energy to?
- -What is our motivation?
- Spiritual worship is NOT just songs, BUT everything we do UNTO the Lord!
- -More excited over a game?
- -Do we bring our first and our best?
Mind & Spirit are linked ~ LIKE ~ Doctrine and Application!
NKJV – “which is your reasonable service”
ESV – “which is your spiritual worship”
- Church service or worship service – acts unto God
- Reasonable vs. spiritual – Yes it is reasonable to us… but…
- Mental assent or spiritual assent – Not rational or proper
NOT Ritualistic, no building needed, no altar needed
John 4:19-24 ESV The woman said to him, “Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet. (20) Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you say that in Jerusalem is the place where people ought to worship.” (21) Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. (22) You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. (23) But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. (24) God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- Romans 12:1 - 2