OT Reading by Joshua Clifton
The Religious Leaders Condemn Christ – Sermon John 18:12-27
All 4 gospels Mark 14:43-52; Luke 22:47-53; Mathew 26:52
Jesus arrested & bound: Gill “loosed from sin, be delivered from captivity, and freed from the bondage of the law
Jesus led to Annas
- Annas – Was the high priest – Caiaphas
- Life long appointment 5 sons served and 1 son in law,
Matthew 26:61 ESV and said, “This man said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to rebuild it in three days.'”
John 2:19 ESV Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
Jesus prophesied destruction – Mat 24, Mark 13, Luke 21
Last high priest was in 70 AD (temple destroyed)
Why Jesus in NOT the Messiah (According to a Jewish article)
- The 3rd temple was not built?
- The 2nd temple was not destroyed yet
- One of the charges – “rebuild it in 3 days”
- Not a Descendant of David
Isaiah 7:14 ESV Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Gather all Jews back the land of Israel
- Not all of Israel is Israel (Rom 9:6)
- High priest in training?– But no temple – Arron’s Line?
- Law suit – Descendants of David – Temple Mount – Chicago
- Line of David? Messiah will come from Chicago?
- And they thought Nazareth was bad!
- Annas and Caiaphas – Will judge the judge – irony???
- Earthly priest vs. the eternal priest?
- Did they examine the evidence?
- What was the charge?
John 18:19 ESV The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching.
- I have taught openly.
- Nothing is in secrete.
- Why do you ask me?
- Laws were are very similar to ours.
- They needed a charge
- Jesus couldn’t condemn himself – WITNESSES
John 18:21 ESV Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me what I said to them; they know what I said.”
- They struck Him!
- Jesus, the illegality of the trial
John 18:23 ESV Jesus answered him, “If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but if what I said is right, why do you strike me?”
- Required to prove him guilty
- What was the reason for the arrest?
- 3 meetings, 2 at night – Blasphemy
- Pilot’s first question is, What charge do you bring?
- Does Pilot care about Blasphemy???
On the other side!
- All the miracles – without sin
- All the prophecies about Jesus
- The prophecies Jesus made (Temple)
- Why did John remind us of this?
John 18:14 ESV It was Caiaphas who had advised the Jews that it would be expedient that one man should die for the people.
- High Priest
- Money changers
John 11:48 ESV If we let him go on like this, everyone will believe in him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
- Illegal, arrest, trail, and conviction
- He was also rejected by men
Isaiah 53:3 ESV He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isaiah 53:6 ESV All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
- Disciples scattered
- Peter denied him 3 times
- 3rd with cursing!
- We have all denied Him
- No one can say they answered his call perfectly
- People continue to reject Him
- What is the charge against Him?
- What is the evidence of the charge?
- Jesus is the Christ
- Inspired Word of God – Prophecies
- The miracles
- Prophecies from Jesus
DEPRAVITY OF MAN
- Suppress the truth in exchange for a lie
- Where does your goodness come from, you?
- On your own, can you do better than Peter?
- On your own, can you do better than Thomas?
1 Corinthians 10:12 ESV (12) Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.
- Peter’s denial is mentioned in all 4 Gospels
- Not mentioned again
- Later, he is the leader in Jerusalem
- Full forgiveness from the one he denied – Irony
- Horrible wretched sin, yet the first leader of the church
- By God’s POWER
- The weakness of Peter is Peter
- The power of Peter is God
- Man rejects Christ
- Despises Christ
- Hides from Christ
- Goes astray
- Turns away (What can you boast in?)
- Full forgiveness from the one he denied – Irony
- What is your verdict of Jesus Christ?
- Is Jesus who he says he is?
- You may judge Him now but he will judge you later
- His charges and evidence will have substance
- What is your rejection based on?
WHAT GIVES MAN THE RIGHT TO JUDGE GOD?
- Proves how rebellious and evil man is!
- Shouldn’t we be on our knees?
Romans 9:20 ESV But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”
- You are either, guilty (in yourself) or Innocent (in Christ)
- He is a just God – Therefore he MUST and WILL punish the guilty.
Psalms 146:8 ESV the LORD opens the eyes of the blind. The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down; the LORD loves the righteous.
Luke 4:18-19 ESV “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, (19) to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
- I pray that he speaks to us today
- God shepherd’s His people
- He goes after the lost
- He gathers his sheep
- He opens our eyes
- He also blinds
Sermon preached by Pastor Bryan Walker on Oct 16th 2016
One Way Christian Center
A Reformed Baptist Church, in Olustee Oklahoma
Olustee is about 12-15 miles from Altus and Altus Air Force Base
Our service times are Wed @7 and Sun @1030