Behold the Man – Sermon John 19:1-16
Who is Pilate? Judea – From 26 to 36 A.D. –
- Crucifixion between 30-33 A.D.
- Headstrong, Strict (Saint? Suicide? Died in 39 A.D???)
- Justin Martyr (Acts of Pilate)
- Roman Standard – Night –
- Took temple money to build aqueduct – killed many (Jews appealed)
- Shields – Take them down (Jews appealed)
Joh 18:38 “I find no guilt in him??? +, (4), (6), (12) – Release
Joh 19:1 Then Pilate took Jesus and flogged him.
- Leather straps
- Bone and Metal
- Flesh tore off – Lashed to the post
- Some cases, Organs exposed, death
- Crown of Thorns
- Scepter – Reed
- Purple Robe
- Soldiers: “Hail, King of the Jews!”
(4) “See [BEHOLD], I am bringing him out to you that you may know that I find no guilt in him.”
[BEHOLD] – I find no guilt
[BEHOLD] – The man!
[BEHOLD] – Your king!
[BEHOLD] – This is my son who I am well pleased.
[BEHOLD] – The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world
BEHOLD THE MAN
Look at his bloody body. (Stripes, robe, crown, reed)
- Spurgeon (summary): How can a Christian want to hold on to sin???
- Behold the man! – There is your sin.
- If the Holy son who knew no sin was punished like this… our rejection
Why? [BEHOLD] – The man!
The Hebrew Word for Man
Adam = man.
Gen 2:7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground
Gen 3:9 NASB Then the LORD God called to the man (NKJ Adam)
Man was made good:
Genesis 1:27 NASB God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1:31 NASB God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
THE COMMANDMENT CAME
Genesis 2:16-17 NASB The LORD God commanded the man, saying, “From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; (17) but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die.”
THE COMMANDMENT WAS BROKEN
- Adam/man/mankind, died spiritually & physically
- Spiritually – He hid from God
- Sin entered the world
Problem: The wages of sin is death
- What is it like to not sin?
- Adam before the fall
- Jesus Christ
- What would a perfect body be like?
- No sickness
- No death
- No pain
- Jesus Christ
- He has an incorruptible physical body
2 ADAMS / MEN
The Man Adam = death
The Man Jesus = life (for those who belong to Christ)
1 Corinthians 15:21-23 ESV (21) For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. (22) For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. (23) But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ.
- We are all born in Adam
- Jesus says we must be born again
- Born from above
- Born of the Spirit
- Made alive in Christ
Romans 5:19 ESV For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.
- All who are born of Adam are born in death
- All who are born of Christ are born into life
Ephesians 2:5 NASB even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
- Being BORN of the Spirit is an ACT of GOD
- You must be born again – Not of Adam
- [BEHOLD] – A virgin shall be with child
- Back to Adam
- In Adam, we inherit sin and death
- Sin is rebellion against God
- We are under the curse
- Yet, there are levels of Sin & Punishment
(11) …Therefore he who delivered me over to you has the greater sin.”
Galatians 3:10 NASB For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT ABIDE BY ALL THINGS WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF THE LAW, TO PERFORM THEM.”
- In Christ / Being Born Again
- We inherit eternal life
- We are no longer under the curse
- The bondage of sin is lifted
- Our hearts are changed (No longer hide from God)
- Death has no more sting
- Physical bodies will be raised
- Incorruptible, no more sickness
- He exchanged our sin for his righteousness
- Fair? Justice?
- Christ was punished in our place
Pilate walks Jesus out again – [BEHOLD] your King!
(15) They cried out, “Away with him, away with him, crucify him!” Pilate said to them, “Shall I crucify your King?” The chief priests answered, “We have no king but Caesar.”
- [BEHOLD!] This is our KING!
- He is our Lord
- Cesar is NOT our king!
- He is the first fruits
- He is our mediator between God and man
- Sinless & perfect – Punished for Us
- He took our stripes
- He died in our place
- Through death he conquered death!
- His own FREE WILL
- He gave his live – wasn’t taken
(11) Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above.
- How can we question God’s love?
- How can we question God’s plan?
[BEHOLD] Your sin!
[BEHOLD] the man!
[BEHOLD] your king!