Tomorrow’s Sermon Notes
SERMON TEXT: Romans 15:1-13 ESV
CHRIST’S PERFECT WORK AND OUR DUTY TO OUR LORD
DUTY IS TO THE WILL OF GOD
- Theme merging JEWS and GENTILES, in CHRIST
BEAR WITH THE FAILINGS OF THE WEAK (ESV)
BEAR WITH THE SCRUPLES OF THE WEAK (NKJ)
Scruples: Doubt; hesitation from the difficulty of determining what is right or expedient; backwardness; reluctance to decide or to act.
Failings: Deficiency; imperfection; lapse; fault
Why bear failings!: CHRIST!
- Don’t just learn the Word, do the Word
- Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
- Through Him all things were created
- To Him belongs all glory, power and honor
Revelation 5:13 ESV
- Came in the likeness of sinful flesh (Rom 8:3)
- 2Co 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin
- How can God dwell with a sinful people?
- Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us
REASON IS CHRIST
(3) For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.”
Matthew 20:28 ESV even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
John 3:16 ESV “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
John 13:8 ESV Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.”
- Well know act performed by SERVANTS
- Lesson is service and humility
John 13:17-18 ESV If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. (18) I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But the Scripture will be fulfilled, ‘He who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.’
- KNOWLEDGE + DOING
Psalms 40:8 ESV I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”
John 17:4 ESV I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.
John 6:38 ESV For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.
Psalms 69:9 ESV For zeal for your house has consumed me, and the reproaches of those who reproach you have fallen on me.
Zeal for your house – Drove the money changers from the temple
Those who reproach God or have contempt for the true God
-Are you his servant?
-Expect contempt! FROM WHO? RELIGIOUS! WORLD!
John 15:20 ESV Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours.
LET US NOT PLEASE OURSELVES
***VERSE -14 1 Thessalonians 5:11-14
1 Thessalonians 5:11-14 ESV (11) Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. (12) We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, (13) and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. (14) And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.
- Respect the laborers and leaders
- Even if they admonish you
- Love because of their work
- Admonish the idle
- Admonishment and unity?
- Encourage the faint hearted
- Help the weak
- Be patient
SUBSISTENCE & SUSTAINMENT
(4) For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
INSTRUCTION – TEACHING
ENDURANCE FROM GOD
List goes on…
Hungry? Lunch time?
SKIP 1 meal!
Matthew 4:2-4 ESV And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. (3) And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” (4) But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.'”
PERFECT! WORK OF CHRIST
BUT BY EVERY WORD THAT COMES FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD