OT Reading by Joshua Clifton, 2nd Samuel 15
Sermon Text: John 18:1-12
All 4 gospels Mark 14:43-52; Luke 22:47-53; Mathew 26:52
THE EVENTS LEADING TO THE DEATH OF JESUS
- Lynch mob
- Mark great crowd with swords and clubs
- Soldiers and Religious representation
- Lanterns, torches, swords, and clubs
- Betrayed with a kiss
JESUS RELINQUISHED POWER
- 12 Legions of Angels (Pigs 2,000? to 6,000)
- Overwhelming Force, Shock and Awe!
- Instead – I AM (he is added)
John 18:6 ESV When Jesus said to them, “I am he,” they drew back and fell to the ground.
- No one took his life.
- Pilot had no power over him!
PETER CUTS OFF THE EAR
SHALL I NOT DRINK THE CUP?
(between verse 1 and 2)
The NEXT PRAYER in the garden of Gethsemane
- Prayed for the cup to pass
- Prayed for the hour to pass
Luke 22:44 ESV And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
- Sweat praying?
- Ruptured blood vessels
- Not my will but your will
- He resolved to DRINK the cup
- The CUP of Christ – Portion (liver or spinach)
- We can’t bear his cup
- We can’t even phantom it
- We have our own cup, our own portion
I felt the DEATH (cup)
- Punkey Rees (camping trip)
- Ray Zac (2 years)
- Thomas Lopez (Motorcycle Accident, family)
- Rachel Lopez (5 years, 2 years, family)
- Augustine Lopez (normal day)
PERSECUTION for being a Christian (cup)
FINANCES —- LOSS OF A JOB (cup)
DIVORCE (cheating spouse)
WAR… (what is your cup?)
THE FATHER HAS GIVEN ME?
- There is no such thing as chance
- God ordains ALL things
- God ordained his Son to suffer and die
- Yet- God has no power over what happens to us? RIDICULOUS
- Joseph suffered for many years –
- You meant it for evil, God meant it for good.
- Paul had a thorn in his side, to keep him humble
- I ASK YOU – Who’s cup? Who gave the cup?
- Do you think the disciples suffered when they lost Christ?
- YES, but look how strong they became
- Look what they accomplished
- They came back!!!
- Where are you?
- Are you focused on the cup?
- Try focusing on the father
- Compare your cup to Christ’s cup
- Focus on the power Christ had
- Will he not give you strength
- Have you prayed until drops of blood?
- Have you prayed to the point of sweating?
- Take comfort in God’s sovereignty
- Rest in God, he knows what he is doing
- FUNERAL VERSES
Romans 8:28 ESV And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:35 ESV Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?
The disciples had a REASON to get even! (Peter cuts off the ear)
- Peter who is about to go through a fiery trial
Mat 26:52 …For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.
- The sword is not the answer
- Natural man wants to fight back
- WWJD – Ask yourself
- God will repay
- All Apostles suffered – None took up the sword after this
- Significance 2nd Samuel 15 – 17
- Absalom – David’s son – Takes control of the kingdom
- Ahithophel – David’s Judas – Trusted inner circle
- David crosses the brook Kidron
- Ahithophel – Wants to peruse David with 12,000 men
- Jesus can call upon 12 legions of angels
- Peter put your sword away
- Brook Kidron is also BELIEVED to be the Valley of Jehoshaphat
- Judgement of the nations
Joel 3:2 ESV
Joel 3:13-14 ESV
Notice: Their evil is great
The valley of decision
Revelation 14:15 ESV
Jesus speaks of a harvest
Matthew 13:30 ESV
God will judge, he will repay, NOT US!
This or that happened because of your sins??? DANGEROUS
Luke 13:2-3 ESV
Hebrews 12:11, 12 ESV
THEREFORE! Get up!
- When you are ready, move on from the cup and STRENGTHEN
Whom do you seek? I AM
- Do you seek to worship or persecute Him?
- Do you love Him or hate him?
- Are you focused on HIM or the cup?
- Suffering brings us to our knees
- Keeps us humble
- Drives us to God
- Share in holiness
- Fruit of Righteousness
Acts 14:22 ESV strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.
Jesus drank the father’s cup. Shouldn’t we?
Sermon preached by Pastor Bryan Walker
One Way Christian Center
A Reformed Baptist Church, in Olustee Oklahoma
Olustee is about 12-15 miles from Altus and Altus Air Force Base
Our service times are Wed @7 and Sun @1030