When would it be cruel to tell someone, “Smile, God Loves You?” Watch and see.
Sermon Text John 17:6-19 NKJV
- Main Points
(1) Name (2) Words (3) Fullness
NAME (1st Main Point)
- (6) Manifested your name to them
- (12) Kept them in your name
In Jesus name???
We separate the name from the person BUT
- English: Carpenter, † Baker, † Potter, † Smith, † Weaver…
- Walkers used their feet to pound the wool = Walker
- Size 13, earns double pay!
- Christ displays the father
John 14:9 NKJV …He who has seen Me has seen the Father
Acts 4:12 NKJV Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Does the “Name” save?
Men whom You have given Me out of the world. Given Ones
- These are very specific ones
- Whomever will come, are those given
- They were given because He knew they would come?
- Because of their foreseen goodness?
Notice how important knowing is.
Given ones “have believed that You sent Me”
- God revealed Christ to Peter
- Not flesh and blood
- When you are given you start to understand
- The world doesn’t know these things
- Romans 8:8 those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
- They can’t even know God
- You must be born again to know Christ
WORDS (2nd Main Point)
Given ones – The manifested his name and were given the words
- Not commands, but doctrines; – Gill
- The doctrines. – Albert Barnes
- I have delivered thy doctrine to them – Clarke
Today, doctrine is a bad word???
- World, doctrine Divides??? – Given, doctrine unites!
- What if I told you, JESUS DIVIDES??? Given vs. World
- JESUS also UNITES??? Through Doctrine
(11) …that they may be one as We are.
- Calls the TRUE Church be united in Christ
- Not just the name of Christ but all of Christ
- United in the doctrine/words of Christ
- United in the name/person of Christ
- This calls for no divisions
- The Body of our Christ is not divided
- Christ is the vine, we are the branches
- Christ is the head, we are the body
- There are false Christs – NOT united
- False doctrines and false truths – Not united
- “religious” modern day Pharisee, Scribe or Sadducee
- Other gods
- The world
- (9) “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world
- But he prays for – those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.
- Jesus didn’t pray for the world? HARD SAYING
- He divides the given ones from the world
- Jesus is called the Prince of Peace Isaiah 9:6
Matthew 10:34-37 NKJV “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
- His SHEEP – Peace and joy (13) …that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves.
- A sword between the GIVEN ONES and the WORLD
John 17:14 NKJV I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
- We have, Joy in Christ
- Hatred from the world
- Name of God, Name of Jesus – the full person
- Words of God –the full doctrines
- Given ones They were Yours, You gave them to Me
- Joy they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves
- Hatred from the world the world has hated them
- Security Holy Father, keep through Your name
- Unity one as We
- Perseverance I have kept; and none of them is lost
- Eschatology, doctrine of the last things – I do not pray that You should take them out of the world
- Being kept You should keep them from the evil one.
- Will not be deceived
- Sanctification – Sanctify them by Your truth
- Set them apart
- Prepare them for your work
- Truth vs. a lie.
What if we only have half-truths?
Matthew 24:38-39 NKJV
- In Christ is — in the Ark?
- What would you say to the people?
- Do you see the storm building?
- The signs are on the horizon
- He isn’t coming to have a picnic
- Smile God loves you
John the Baptist, REPENT
Mat_4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
The Disciples said, REPENT Mar_6:12 So they went out and preached that people should repent.
At the end. Rev_9:21 And they did not repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.
- Is this prayer a prayer of Hope?
- Concrete, solid, definite
- The prayers of Jesus are answered
- The Given WILL be
- One in Christ – Because they have the words and name.
- None will be lost, not one
- They will have his JOY
- The world will hate them
- They will be sanctified
- They will be kept from the evil one
- Not taken out of the world- They endured