Sermon Text: John 17:20-24 ESV
- NOW HE PRAYS FOR US – 4 POINTS
- Specific prayer for his people
- What glory does he give us?
- The Oneness of His Church
- That we be with Christ
SPECIFIC PRAYER FOR HIS PEOPLE Those who will believe?
Jesus doesn’t waiver between his yes and no. 2 Corinthians 1:19
- He didn’t speak according to the FLESH but the SPIRIT
- He always speaks the truth
- So, when he prays for those who will believe
- THEY WILL BELIEVE
- WHY? BECAUSE he prayed.
- His action is ALWAYS first
- New Creation in Christ
- Always speaks truth and absolutes –
- When you return strengthen
- Destroy this temple and I might rebuild it
- Jesus doesn’t guess
- No indecision in Him
- Those who come in are the ones he prayed for
- Christ died for them
WHAT GLORY DOES HE GIVE US?
(22) The glory that you have given me I have given to them
- This is a given glory – Not — an existing glory
John 17:5 ESV And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
GIVEN WHAT GLORY? — OUR GLORY IS JESUS CHRIST
- Through Christ – adopted as sons and daughters
- You call Him Father
- He calls you son
2 Corinthians 6:18 ESV and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”
- Not many of you had fathers you can be proud of
- I was fortunate, I’m proud
- How proud of God can you be?
- Many fathers do great things – Superman!
- My father:
- Created everything you see
- He upholds by his word
- Whatever you see and don’t see is my fathers
- My father does whatever he pleases and none can stop him
- He is strength is unmatched!
- He is love
- Men die for men
- How many men let their son die for men?
- For wicked men
- For filthy men
- For men who hate you
- This is ALL for me??? NO
- No, you are not the PRIMARY reason!
- Christ is the reason – His glory!
- This is all for His glory
- You have nothing apart from Christ
- Eternal life is that you KNOW, God & Jesus Christ
Because of Christ the Mediator
- Our father is not a distant
- His very glance would kill us
- Yet, He did not abandon us
- He knows my needs before I ask
- He will not let a hair fall un-noticed
- Why??? Why??? Why???
- For His Glory and His Son’s Glory
- Our glory is HIS Glory!
- The glory of JESUS CHRIST
John 17:24 ESV Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Hours before the Cross – Glory of Suffering
Acts 5:41 ESV Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name.
THE CONFUSION OF ONENESS
DIFFICULT PASSAGES FOR TODAY
John 17:21 ESV that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
Joh 17:22 …that they may be one even as we are one,
John 17:23 ESV I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
- We are to all come together as one!
- To do this we must, set aside some things
- Unity is more important than doctrine
- Doctrine divides
- At least, 30,000 different denominations
- What would be left to preach on?
- Probably could find 2 to agree on everything
- Empty name of JESUS CHRIST
Joh 17:6 “I have manifested your name
Joh_17:11 …keep them in your name,
Joh_17:12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name,
Joh_17:26 I made known to them your name
Joh 17:8 For I have given them the words
Joh_17:8 and have come to know in truth
Joh_17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.
Joh_17:19 that they also may be sanctified in truth.
In Timothy Paul Warns us about vain discussions — not to quarrel about words — teaching a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ — controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions,
SOMEONE IS WRONG — LIGONIER CONVENTION –
- We have 7 churches in Revelation
- Not asked to combine
- Wouldn’t want to combine with all of them
- Warned of false teachers among us
- Increasing as the end comes
- Warned of false Christians in the Church
There are no denominations in Heaven
There is unity in the TRUTH
So what does this oneness mean?
Did this aspect of Jesus’ prayer NOT come true?
- The first church was very pure and one
Act 4:32 Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul
- They had disagreements over the Gentiles
- Paul disagreed with Barnabas over John Mark
- Corinthians had divisions
- True Christians are cross culture
- HUGE TASK mixing Jews and Greeks
Galatians 3:28 ESV There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
- Spiritual Oneness in Christ
- Different levels
- Different missions
- Different emphasis
1 Corinthians 12:12-13 ESV (12) For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. (13) For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
- Oneness with other true believers
- Heart leaps with joy when, you meet another Christian?
- When you talk, you KNOW them
- Same blood cleansed us
- We have the same wants
- The same enemies
- The same Joys
- The same Spirit
- Same work of Grace
- Different degrees of light
- Different knowledge levels —————————
THAT WE BE WITH CHRIST
(24) Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
- His prayers come true
- We glory in His glory
- On that day we will ask to see Jesus
- The truth will be fully known
- Rich or Poor
- Jew or Gentile
- Black or White
- Slave or Free
TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE ALL ONE IN CHRIST