John 1:51 – John 2:11 – Jacob’s Ladder and Water to Wine – Sermon
Truly, truly – 25 times in the Gospel of John
Repeating words!!! -Emphasis
Our word – Amen, amen
- All is important but this is MOST important
What does “you will see Heaven opened” mean?
Heaven is described as opened?
Was it closed? Sign on the door, closed! In a sense!
#1. No Christ no open heaven!
- Abraham depended on a future promise!
- We depend on a fulfilled promise!
#2. You are going to see things never seen before!
#3. Direct references to OT and NT passage
OT & NT – heaven opened and manna was poured out
- Note no mention of ladder in John – Son of Man!
and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man
- Term??? Ladder or staircase or stairWAY
- Semi-Vertical – bridge
- Jesus makes the connection between Heaven and Earth!
“Son of Man” – Used only by Jesus, for himself
NAMES chapter 1 – The Lamb of God, the Son of God, the Messiah, the King of Israel
- Shows his humanity
- The representative of man
- Ezekiel 2, 3 etc… Powerful prophet, but displaying natural human weaknesses-
- Daniel 7:13, Revelation 1:13, Revelation 14:14, Dominion, Glory, Power and Judgement –
- Jesus and his disciples were invited
- Do you see a contrast between John the Baptist and Jesus?
John ate locust and wild honey
John wore camel’s hair garment
Rugged and simple life
- Both were condemned
(3) When the wine ran out
#1. Everything was fine until the wine ran out
- Jesus wasn’t asked to make wine while they had wine
- We have something and think it is good until…
- Until… It runs out
- Nothing in this world is eternal, everything comes to an end
What did Mary say???
(3) When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.”
- What a strange thing to say!
- Do you suppose she expected him to buy some?
(5) His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
- If you want wine… Do whatever he tells you!
Who performed the miracle? Jesus
- Can you boast in filling the pot?
- You have wine because I filled a pot with water???
- You have healing because I prayed for you???
- You have a new job because I prayed for you???
- You ALONE can fill pots ALL YEAR with water and always get water!
- Yet– Filling the pots is important
2nd Thessalonians 3:10
Do whatever he tells you
What did Jesus say?
(4) And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.”
Term “woman” Greek is not derogatory
John 19:26 Cross – Woman behold your son!
what does this have to do with me? –
Probably a mild reproof
Very difficult Greek translated many ways
HEAVILY FAMILY – FATHER
What is the big picture???
- Jesus is the WAY or connection between heaven and earth
- Jesus takes something ORDINARY and makes it EXTRAORDINARY
- Do whatever He tells you
- You do not create the miracle
- Your actions are important
- Earthly family does not dictate who you are
- Lastly, miracles ALWAYS point to Jesus
- Jesus did many other signs…