Sermon Text: John 5:25-29 ESV
- Spiritual life, bodily resurrection to life or Judgment
- Two manners of hearing here! (Some and All)
- ALL are raised from the tombs, LIFE, JUDGEMENT
- Are we given life based on deeds or GRACE?
VERSE 25 DOES NOT say all the dead will hear!
VERSE 28 SAYS ALL the dead will hear and do something!
- This is important, what does verse 25 say? LOOK!
- “the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, ((and those who hear will live.”))
At one point ALL will HEAR, and do something!
Look at verse 28-29
when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice (29) and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.
Verse 25 some hear and live
Verse 28… all will hear his voice, LIFE & JUDGEMENT
THE SIGN OF RESURRECTION
Mark 5:41: Little girl I say to you arise
Luke 7:14: (funeral procession) Young man, I say to you, arise!
John 11:43 he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.”
Did any of these refuse, did any not hear???
THE GIVING OF SPIRITUAL LIFE (verse 25)
What does the Word say about us being dead?
Colossians 2:13 ESV
Ephesians 2:1 ESV
John 11:25-26 ESV
- NOTICE SOME HEAR and come to life!!!
¯ ¯ ¯ ¯
- 25. “the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, ((and those who hear will live.”))
BODILY RESURRECTION (28: all who are in the tombs)
ALL bodies die, but “though he die, yet shall he live”
NOTE: Two were taken up before death, Enoch and Elijah!
(Gen 5:21 and 2nd Kings 2:11)
ALL bodies are resurrected
Some to eternal life in heaven with Christ
Some to eternal judgement
Word of God says
LIFE or JUDGEMENT
(( when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice (29) and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. ))
MISCONCEPTION – we cease to exist! NO
Daniel 12:2 ESV And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
Matthew 25:46 ESV And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
DONE GOOD or DONE EVIL, is this a problem?
those who have done good
those who have done evil
- IN THIS SAME PARAGRAPH:
John 5:24 ESV
I thought you said we are saved by faith
I thought you said we are saved by Grace
I thought you said, we are NOT saved by works??
Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV
- Then what does this mean?
(29) …those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.
- Those who are saved by grace DO good!
- Those who are NOT saved by grace CAN NOT do good works!
- Doesn’t mean they can’t feed the homeless
- Doesn’t mean they can’t do good to each other
Matthew 7:11 ESV
WE ALL NEED GRACE
John 6:28-29 ESV
- The #1 good work is to believe in JESUS CHRIST
- If you don’t have this, you don’t have anything
- So, I am saved by my works? Not so fast!!!
John 8:39 ESV
- Just as Jesus does the works of the father, we ALSO do the works of our father.
- Your position in one family or the other produces works! (babes?)
James 2:14 ESV
Romans 14:23 ESV …
WARNING: PROFESSION vs. POSSESSION of faith
- You can call God your father – and not belong to God
- You can even say Jesus Christ is your Lord – and not belong to Christ
- You can look good on the outside but it’s the inside that matters!
- The Pharisees had the appearance of good works, but rejected
- I am sure they feed the poor
- They prayed
- They went to the temple
- They had the appearance of Holiness
Matthew 7:15 ESV
- The appearance of goodness is ONLY, the appearance of goodness
- Read Matthew 7, Read Hebrews 11
Hebrews 11:6 ESV