Romans 11:26-33 Sermon Text
How will he save them?
- Doesn’t specifically say!
- The same way he saved the Gentiles – Preaching the Gospel
- The Gospel is the only way someone is saved
- Scripture, Grace, Faith, Christ, To God Alone be the Glory
- God gets the Glory!
(30) For just as you were at one time disobedient
(31) so they too have now been disobedient
- Who was disobedient? – Gentiles
- # Gentile converts in the OT? Why?
- # Jewish converts for the past 2000 years? Why?
- Care? No one wants to be saved until they are saved!!!
- Perfectly happy in misery!
- We were enemies of God
- We were hostile toward God
(28) As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake.
- Who is he referring to? Israel
- During the times of the Gentiles
- They were disobedient
- Everyone is an enemy – without Christ
- Strong words – Why? – Because sin is that bad!!!
- Sin – destroys any hope of a relationship with God
- BUT – Christ
- His perfect life His death His Glorious Resurrection
- Fellow servants are coming in
To God Alone Be the Glory!!!
(29) For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.
- Without repentance
- Are not repented of
- May not be changed
- God decides who gets a gift
- God does not change his mind
- God does not wish he called someone else
- God does not make mistakes
- Gifts here refers to eternal life
- Calling refers to an effectual call
- A call that produces an effect
- When God calls you will listen
- Perseverance of the Saints
- Fallen faith healer? – lose your salvation
- When you have it, you can’t lose it
- If you never had it, you can’t lose it
How will he save them? MERCY
(31) so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now receive mercy.
- Mercy is a Work of God
- You are a work of God!
- None of us deserve mercy!
- God gives MERCY
- God’s plan is rooted in mercy
- Mercy Seat
- Famous: I will show mercy on whom I will show mercy
Always ask God for Mercy – Not your opponent
Why will he save them?
(27) “and this will be my covenant with them
- His covenant
- He made a promise to do so
- He is not a man that he should lie
(28) for the sake of their forefathers.
- Because of their fathers
- For His Glory
NO ONE WANTS TO BE SAVED UNTIL THEY ARE SAVED?
(32) For God has consigned all to disobedience,
All – is everyone without distinction, Jew or Gentile
Consigned – to shut up or to imprison
- Why? Did they NOT come in?
- Why does anyone come in AT ALL?
No one wants to be saved until they are saved!
- All are shut up to disobedience
- God is not the author of evil
- God can and does use our sin for his purpose
Romans 9: — Pharaoh
Rom 9:20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God?
(32) For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all.
Romans 11:33 ESV Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
TO GOD BE THE GLORY
- Romans 11:26 - 33