Does the potter have rights over the clay? Who is the clay to question the potter? Tear down the high places. Sermon preached at One Way Christian Center by Pastor Bryan Walker, on 8 June, 2014 in Olustee, OK. Church Service.
Romans 9:21 ESV Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? (23) in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— (24) even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
TEAR DOWN THE HIGH PLACES & BUILD AN ALTAR TO THE LORD
2 Kings 15:3-4 ESV And he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, according to all that his father Amaziah had done. (4) Nevertheless, the high places were not taken away. The people still sacrificed and made offerings on the high places.
Romans 9:21 ESV Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?
* Fairness foul! More today than before — but always there
* The Western World is all about SELF
* Marriage Rights
* Patients’ Rights
* Human Rights
* Civil Rights
* Gun Owners Rights
* Bill of Rights
* We even have Gay Rights
* What about the POTTERS RIGHTS???
2 types of people with almost absolute authority over you.
Parents and A Drill Sergeant
* No one heard of Children’s Rights, when we were children?
* Drill Sergeant barks an order — Why drill sergeant…?
* People today don’t know authority!
* God has absolute authority over all things!
– Not sinful parents
– Not a cussing drill sergeant
– All mighty, HOLY GOD, I AM
– Potters rights??? Yes!
Not a question of fairness but rights
SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD ARTHUR PINK Chapter 2
Psalms 115:3 ESV Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.
Proverbs 16:4 ESV The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble.
* Who can question the potters rights?
Isaiah 45:9-10 “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? (10) Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?'”
* Mass of fallen humanity in his hands
* He has the right to do as he pleases and it doesn’t matter if you agree
Job 40:1-4 ESV And the LORD said to Job: (2) “Shall a faultfinder contend with the Almighty? He who argues with God, let him answer it.” (3) Then Job answered the LORD and said: (4) “Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth…
Job let me see you, Job 40:10 ESV “Adorn yourself with majesty and dignity; clothe yourself with glory and splendor.
* Job cannot do this!!! You cannot do this!!!
Job let me see you, (11) Pour out the overflowings of your anger, and look on everyone who is proud and abase him. (12) Look on everyone who is proud and bring him low and tread down the wicked where they stand. (13) Hide them all in the dust together; bind their faces in the world below. (14) Then will I also acknowledge to you that your own right hand can save you.
GOD’S WRATH AND POWER
(22) What if God
(23) …make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—
* Who’s glory? God’s Glory — Then our glory is God’s Glory
* To whom — vessels of mercy
* God is very merciful — None should be given mercy!
* Seed of mercy, bears the fruit of mercy
(24) even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
This is the way God calls — for everyone!
* Glory to God — in his wisdom
* Glory to God — for his mercy
* Glory to God — for his creation
* Glory to God — for your calling and desire
* Glory to God — for his power and wrath
Tear down the high places!
- Romans 9:21 - 24