2 Peter 1:16-21 ESV
- Peter begins his defense of the truth
- Tells of the coming of Christ in power
- Warns of the false prophets
- Tells us how we should walk
What does Peter mean by Cleverly devised myths
- Myth as opposed to the TRUTH
- Cleverly devised – means they appear to be true
- May even be mostly true
- Glass of water – Poison (food coloring)
1 Timothy 1:3-4 ESV
Paul says to charge them, (means to confront them)
No different doctrine
- Interesting how doctrine is a bad word today
- Doctrine divides, increase your numbers, remove doctrine
1 Timothy 4:7 ESV Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness;
- Discipline yourself
- Train yourself for godliness
- Not ungodly festivals of the flesh
- Are we to please our flesh or to please God
Titus 1:9-14 ESV
Insubordinate – disobedient to authority
Empty talkers – Use a lot of words but never speak substance
What do they preach?
Deceivers – Look like one thing but are really something else
- There were many sorcerers and diviners who got predictions right
- Many people followed them, just as they do today
- Myth is opposite of Truth
- Peter – “We didn’t preach myths but truth”
power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty
- Lightning storm-
- Transfiguration – Apostles were afraid
- Calming the storm – Exceeding fearful
- Compare a bolt of lightning to the power of Christ
- Flippant attitude today
- You will be held accountable
(17) For when he received honor and glory from God the Father
- How do we pay honor today?
- Funeral Eulogy – Who they were and their impact
- Speech to testify how great someone is
- Give an award, which is a form of testimony
- We name a building or a ballfield after someone – lasting testimony
- News report is a testimony of a person’s greatness
“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased,”
- Is there any higher testimony?
- Can one receive a higher honor? Think…
- God who created all things, who rules all things, testified
- Peter was a witness
- Peter experienced this
- Peter testifies of the GREAT TESTIMONY
Verse 19 – Slightly difficult to interpret
2Pe 1:19 NKJV And so we have the prophetic word confirmed
2Pe 1:19 NASB So we have the prophetic word made more sure
2Pe 1:19 ESV And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed
- Comparison 1, because we have the witness of the transfiguration the word is more fully confirmed.
- No comparison, We have the witness and the confirmed word, both are equally true.
- All 3 versions say the Word is sure or confirmed
- Meaning? – Scriptures are MORE SURE than experiences
- The scriptures are the standard for everything
- Experiences and dreams can be tainted, by what?
- Your desires
- By the flesh
- The devil
- Your interpretation of the bible (autonomous man)
2 Peter 1:21 NKJV for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
Question: How does God speak to us today?
Mystics – Clear your mind, trance like state and listen
Is this what scripture teaches? No.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, (17) that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
- Do you want to hear God speak?
- Read your Word
- Do you want to hear God speak audibly?
- Read the Word out loud
- Several people want to be special and have a new revelation
- God told me to tell you XYZ???
- How do you discern what voices are from God or somewhere else?
- How do you know if it’s your circumstances?
- One minute the Jews were crying Hosanna
- In the next few days they were crying crucify
- What if they searched the scripture like the Bereans?
- Example: God told me, you should leave your husband?
- God is telling me to build a hospital – Oral Roberts
- God told me he wants to heal you
- God told me you shouldn’t start this church
- Prayed and reasoned by searching the scriptures
- God’s providence and sovereignty
- God guides his people, steps are ordered
- Prayed and reasoned by searching the scriptures
Test all things – John McArthur 3 tests – based on scripture
Test 1 – Is it biblical
- A false prophet can be accurate
Deuteronomy 13:1-5 ESV
Test 2 – What is the moral character of the prophet?
- True prophets were never popular –
- True prophets didn’t seek wealth or personal gain
Matthew 7:15-17 ESV
Test 3: 100% Accuracy
Deuteronomy 18:20-22 NKJV
- How many Words from the Lord would we have if we actually put people to death who get it wrong?
- The Lord will deal harshly with the false prophet
- Problem – Prophecy is revelation from God
- Man is forbidden from adding to it
- Mormons, Joseph Smith
- Islam, Muhamad
Deuteronomy 4:2 NKJV
Revelation is God’s Word and must be considered scripture
We have the New Testament because of Jesus Christ
Hebrews 1:1-2 NKJV
- So, what do we do?
- Be content with the revelation God has given us.
- Walk in His revelation
- Peter tells us to pay attention to scripture concerning the second coming of Christ
- Transfiguration shows Christ in his glory and power
(about Scripture) to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,
- Prophecy sheds some light but does not illuminate fully
- Peter didn’t fully realize Christ until after the resurrection
- The OT prophets didn’t fully understand their own prophecies
- When Christ comes back all will be crystal clear
- The whole course of our life should be guided by scripture
- We need to “take heed”
- Apply our minds to understand scripture
2 Peter 1:20 NKJV knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
- Prophecy comes from the Spirit not men
- A mind set upon the flesh cannot interpret prophecy
- The Holy Spirit who gave it must shed light upon it
- Test all things
- I always want to hear the preaching
- Is it man centered or Christ centered
- Remember the 3 tests
- Orthodox and Scriptural (Even if accurate)
- The moral character of the prophet
- It only takes a few drops of poison to mostly water into poison
- Similar to yeast and dough
- Jesus Christ is coming in POWER and GLORY
- Repent and follow Christ, not myths
- Submit to the authority of scripture