WORSHIP THE FATHER IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH – Sermon
Preached by Pastor Bryan Walker
One Way Christian Center, a Reformed Church 12 miles Southwest of Altus, OK and Altus, Air Force Base.
Sermon Text: John 4:20-24
What is worship?
–Submission, praise, works and the highest honor due only to God, and not to anything created.
–Chiefly and eminently, the act of paying divine honors to the Supreme Being; or the reverence and homage paid to him in religious exercises, consisting in adoration, confession, prayer, thanksgiving and the like.
–Paying honor to a false god, Idolatry.
–Show reverence and adoration for a deity
- Why did the old dictionary separate the two definitions?
- We slowly incorporated other means of worship.
- GOD has appointed earthly rulers
- Tax – Everyone knows what this is
- Customs – Also a tax
- Fear – Respect for authority and governing laws
- Honor – Respect for position or rank
Not Worship – Worship is reserved for God alone
Worship is given to the creator not the created
Idol – An image, form or representation, usually of a man or other animal, consecrated as an object of worship.
- Does our culture affect us?
- QUESTION: HOW MUCH does our culture affect us?
- We don’t live in a vacuum!
- What is greater, our impact on the world or the world’s impact on us?
- Ponder This…
- American Idol!
- Think about the name…
- Pastor are you against TV, No
- Pastor, are you against music, No
- Just think about the name, American Idol
- Time machine –
Deuteronomy 12:29-31 ESV
- This applies to us today!
- Are we in a foreign land?
Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world.
- Our kingdom is where Christ is, our home is heaven
- Do not be deceived or tricked
- “How did these nations serve their gods?”
- How did they worship?
- Falling down, a sign of submission
- Voice & mind
- Worship includes service to God
- Worship is commanded, you shall WORSHIP
1 Corinthians 14:24-25 ESV (24) But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, (25) the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.
- Prophecy here is connected with conviction of sins?
- Calling one to account!
- Jesus said, you have 5 husbands!
- Conviction is followed by salvation and worship
Revelation 9:20-21 NKJV
Babylon: Revelation 18:23 ESV …and all nations were deceived by your sorcery.
- This city produces false signs and lying wonders.
- Which is it? Worship or Judgement?
Judgement: Romans 14:10-11 ESV For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; (11) for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.”
- Will you be stiff necked until that day?
- Will you bow your knee now?
- All will give an account.
Worship: Psalms 95:6 ESV Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!
- Spirit and truth?
- Acceptable and unacceptable worship.
- Worship God in the wrong way = unacceptable
Matthew 15:8 ESV “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;
(22) You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
- Today, some say, statues and images were used in the OT
- Fiery serpent on a staff
- Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant
- Statues of saints
- Statues of Jesus
- Statues of Mary
- You ask your statues to intercede
- You ask Mary to intercede
- I’ll go before the throne of Glory
- I’ll go straight to Jesus Christ who is alive, not a statue
- Mary can’t hear you, and the statues are not listening
Others are concerned with “ONLY” a mystical experience void of truth
Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge
If you hear of a so called HOLY SPIRIT revival, stop and listen for truth!
Acceptable worship is founded on truth
John 14:6 ESV Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
(24) God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
- What does this mean? Must worship in spirit???
- He is NOT confined to an object
- He is NOT confined to a statue
- He is NOT in one particular man
- God is Spirit, means he transcends his creation.
- He transcends time.
- He goes beyond the range or limits we put on Him
This is worship:
Mark 12:30 ESV And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
- Heart –
- Soul –
- Strength – Power – Ability
- All are included, none are left out!
- Some have more mind than heart
- Some have more heart than mind
- With all that God has given you!
Emotional and Passionate Truth! – Paraphrase Edwards: My duty is to raise the emotions as high as I possibly can, provided they are affected with nothing but truth.
GOAL: Worship the true God in the proper way.
Hebrews 13:15-16 ESV Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. (16) Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
You worship God with your lips and your actions
Worship is not just gathering and singing
Worship is all of you and all you do.